Thursday, March 3, 2011

My journey to... Chapman

    Since you were interested to learn how I ended up in Orange County, here is the story:

      Probably the main reason why I flew over the Atlantic Ocean, around three and a half years ago was, because of my desire to research for new, more mind-boggling things. I graduated in high school in 1999, I was in physics school for four years (from where I didn't graduate), I have a market maker certificate. Throughout my University years and I had various business interests. I started working in our family business (pharmacy) since high school and I was always challenged by entrepreneurship, management and the financial markets. I have done a few different jobs throughout the years after high school, I was a tutor in math physics and also in business and economics here in the U.S. I was a tutor in Orange Coast college where I did my first two years of business Adm-> transferred to Chapman last year). I was an employee in the pharmacy, a cashier, the kid to run to the banks and outside jobs, later I had many managerial responsibilities, which have been growing over time (I am also an owner know since the pharmacy changed from a partnership to a form of LLC.)  My interest in the financial markets, business environment and my cousin, who was one of the most successful stock brokers in Greece, (he is in Chicago now) were the reason that I got the market maker certificate but mostly worked as a broker along my cousins' side for a period of two years. I did investments for funds and individual customers and worked for two different investment firms. I also have done a lot of work on computers. software, hardware, networks and this last year a lot of web-design and graphics.
   To summarize a bit, I was always disappointed with the educational system in Greece, so I did visit the U.S. for 3 months in research of whether I would like to stay in the U.S. and of course if so find me a good school to start.( I had decided on the business major by that time) It was a fun period I traveled a lot and stayed mostly in Chicago and in Los Angeles. My cousin (the broker) moved to Chicago to work in an investment firm and my aunt (my mothers' sister) and my uncle live in Dana Point. After all California won the debate and I attended Orange Coast College after the period of 3months.
  It was a big investment for me to move here but I am really glad to be here and accomplished many of the goals that I put throughout this journey. I am also currently very happy to minor in computer science since not only it will perpetuate my computer skills and passion, but also it absolutely relates to the modern entrepreneurial model of business. I also declared my major last year to be entrepreneurship, since I believe that is what naturally attracts me the most and I also find it one of the most challenging but also rewarding business aspect/model.
      In general I am very attracted by knowledge and new information, even more since I became a student in Chapman. That raises another question for me which I still need some time to figure out. How to distribute my time should I be a student for a good while and get more degrrees,(computer science master, or business phd, etc or should I focus on implementing some really good business ideas. So far I do a lot of both but I have zero time for what people call fun ...at least I find a lot of pleasure in both. I have my "ideas to do list" and I am implementing them slowly following some hierarchy.

     

1 comment:

  1. Christos: Thank you for the explanation. You and I are a lot alike; we both can't stand to be idle and we both have many and diverse interests....

    ReplyDelete