Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Some Critical Thinking

It is ridiculous to see Chapman students during lectures (and I am not talking specifically for this class) on Facebook; I can't believe how they waste their time like this... It is really pissing me off even watching them or even knowing that they are doing it.
I was making fun of facebooking- or other online-time-burning-activities, with my professor in Business Law  last semester, He used to teach in a small lecture hall; annoyed, but in a humorous style he told me one day in his office hours, some people are just relentless all of a sudden during the lecture they will throw huge smiles or even laughs, totally ignoring where they are. It was on a small lecture hall, but he could point-out who was time-burning on their laptops...

I recalled you mentioned you failed someone because of Facebook, nice!

I forgot to mention that another important reason that the whole thing bothers me is that it has an impact on me. I use computers for note taking, I type fast and blind and I am really organizing information on computers very well. Also this last year I finally got a multi-screen environment on my Desktop, for work initially, but I couldn't believe the productivity boost on the student part. Computers are a great tool for students, if used wisely. My conclusion is that some professors do not allow laptops/computers due to the fact that students will be wondering away online... So back to hand-written notes where I can barely take 1/3 of the notes that I would with a laptop (and with serious pain on my hand) and then scan... blah.. (CR won't even work on my handwriting, hehe, so failure)

I am glad you keep a strict policy with this whole issue.

Maybe Chapman should block Facebook!

That would be funny! I am sure it would raise hell... (just joking)

Thanks for the opportunity to relax a bit and get back to work/studying.

1 comment:

  1. Cristos, most students do not approach this course (or others) with the right mindset. Off campus, business people pay me $350 an hour to listen to me; not to sit in front of me and update their Facebook account...they're wasting a valuable resource....

    ReplyDelete